Art Beast Classes
All Art Beast classes are included free with paid admission or membership except for our Club BEAST and Beasties on their Own Art Club drop in programs. Club BEAST runs September to May. For all classes, children may attend 1 session or every session!
Summer Class Schedule: Runs June 6 to September 2
10:30 am Drum and Movement Circle (All ages)
Come and join our community of rhythm as we haul out all the drums, shakers, and clackers- and use instruments, voices, and bodies to raise a melodic ruckus. Drum circle includes movement and rhythm games to get the whole body moving to the beat. Teacher: Nancy Hamaker
3 pm Exploring Texture (2-7)
In this fun process art class we will explore texture using a range of mediums. We might tackle paper marbling,make bubble prints, or learn to batik. Come explore the possibilities of paint, clay, ink, water, paper, and art all while experiencing the process of creating. Teacher: Nancy Hamaker
10:30 Little Beasties Sing, Dance, and Play! (0 to 3)
A lively music and movement class for babies, toddlers & preschoolers. Older siblings welcome too as space permits! This class is designed for anyone looking to spend 20-30 minutes singing, dancing, listening to a short book and introducing their little ones to a casual class format and interactions with other young children! This class is designed to be predictable and accommodating for all young children by providing a consistent rhythm in each session and a welcoming and friendly atmosphere. Families are invited to come join us each week to move their bodies, share a story and socialize together! Teacher: Leslie Stair
10:30 Art Explorers (3 & up)
Children will explore the art elements and design principles used in the creation of art. By using a variety of materials we will investigate lines, shapes, colors, textures as well as space and pattern. Teacher: Tonya Murrieta
3 Clay Creations (2 & up)
We provide the clay, the slip, the dough, and the goo. The children provide the imagination. Class time will include modeling of techniques and lots of space to explore and invent.
10:45 Song Circle
Join us as we gather to share song and stomps and silliness.
2:00 pm Art and Science (3 to 7)
Let's jump into the space where art and science intersect as we explore color, reactions, pattern, and mediums. Children will be encouraged to stretch their brains, creativity, bodies, and imagination as we investigate the science in art. Working together we'll use our silly ideas, playfulness, and curiosity to hypothesize and experiment. Whether making tie dyed milk or exploding paintings, children are certain to leave filled with wonder. Teacher: Andrew Macaranas
10-11: Art Workshops for Big and Little Beasts (All Ages)
Each Friday features a new workshop to explore the arts. Art Beast provides the supplies and guidance as grown ups and children explore an art together. Teacher: Varies
Classes are capped at 12 children for most classes. Parents are always welcome to stay close during the class, and many classes invite and encourage parent participation. All classes can be explored without committing to the full series. However, we encourage families to consider trying a class for 4 to 8 weeks so that children get the opportunity to explore the art, build a relationship with the teacher, and develop rapport with their classmates. Monthly memberships include 4 classes a month and annual memberships include 52 classes a year for each child under 7. Drop in visitors to Art Beast can join a class on any visit. Most days there will be plenty of room! Only Art Beast members can reserve a space in advance.
Ready to Register?
Art Beast Members can call the studio to reserve a spot in any class in advance!
Drop in visitors can join classes with open spaces on the day of their visit.
What makes Art Beast different from other studios?
- Our classes are designed specifically for kids under 7
- Our classes emphasize process over product
- You can take a class AND play for hours afterward in our play spaces
- Parents can join many of the classes or easily watch from the comfortable, roomy seating area
- While one child takes a class, you have a building of play spaces to explore with your other children
- Classes beat other studios prices AND include far more than a 45 minute session
- Your child does not need to commit to an 8 week session. They can dabble and try out various classes to find a good fit.
- Every penny earned by Art Beast supports Tubman House, a transitional community for young homeless parents and their children.
What You’ll Find in Art Beast’s Teachers and Art Coaches
- Experience working alongside children 0 to 7
- A patient, joyful spirit
- Ability to respond to each child’s needs in creating a welcoming space
- A warm, friendly hello
- Love for building an inclusive community of families
- Crazy for the arts
- Dazzled by the possibilities present in each child
- Values all individuals and all types of family structures, and shares stories and songs that reflect families and children of many cultures and family types.
- Promotes gender equity by ensuring stories, songs, and other artistic expressions portray both girls and boys equally as protagonists, and by portraying both girls and boys as brave, adventurous, heroic, gentle, loving, mischievous, and spirited.