All Art Beast classes are included free with paid admission or membership except for our Club BEAST drop in program. Club BEAST runs September to May. Children may attend 1 session or every session!
Summer Class Schedule: Runs June 1st to August 30
Art Explorers (3 & up): 10:30 am: Children will explore the art elements and design principles used in the creation of art. By using a variety of materials we will investigate lines, shapes, colors, textures as well as space and pattern. Teacher: Tonya Murrieta
Baby and Me Music and Movement(0 to 2): 10:30 am
Connect with your baby beastie through songs, books, and exploration. Relying heavily on repetition and close adult/child interaction, the carefully selected components of this class are designed to get you and the little one on your lap engaged with each other as well as the teacher and the other babies in class. This is a quieter, less stimulating class for those who prefer that type of environment. Teacher: Leslie Stair
Little Beasties Sing, Dance, and Create (Best for ages 2-5): 10:30 am
A fun song begins each class which is designed to help young children become comfortable with playing and interacting with one another. Children may dance, play movement games, or do song finger play. Leslie, a children's librarian and artist, may tell a story, lead an art experience, or scaffold silly play. Teacher: Leslie Stair
Art Science (4 to 7): 3:00 pm: Children will dive right into the messy part of science as we explore the intersection of art and science. Children will be encouraged to stretch their brains, creativity, bodies, and imagination as we investigate the creative possibilities of chemical reactions. Working together we'll use our silly ideas, playfulness, and curiosity to hypothesize and experiment. Whether making alien goo , bubble painting, or painting salt towers, children are certain to leave filled with wonder. Teacher: Mariah Nall
Drum Circle (2 and up): 10:30 am
Join us for this session of rampant silliness as we make music that gets us moving! Whether creating a circle of rhythm, stomping dinosaur beats, or dancing to drums, we will be chasing fun and laughter. Teacher: Sonya Serrano
Movement and Beastie Games (3-7): 3 pm
A combination of yoga, creative movement, and playground games, Movement and Beastie Games embraces the joy of moving our bodies and playing together. Whether taking on the form of jungle animals, wiggling a hula hoop through our community circle, or becoming one another shadows, this session promises fun. Teacher: Mariah Nall
Art Workshops for Big and Little Beasts: Between 10 am and 11 am: Each Friday features a new workshop to explore the arts. Art Beast provides the supplies and guidance as grown ups and children explore an art together. Teacher: Varies
Classes are capped at 12 children for most classes. Parents are always welcome to stay close during the class, and many classes invite and encourage parent participation. All classes can be explored without committing to the full series. However, we encourage families to consider trying a class for 4 to 8 weeks so that children get the opportunity to explore the art, build a relationship with the teacher, and develop rapport with their classmates. Monthly memberships include 4 classes a month and annual memberships include 52 classes a year for each child under 7. Drop in visitors to Art Beast can join a class on any visit. Most days there will be plenty of room! Only Art Beast members can reserve a space in advance.
Ready to Register?
Art Beast Members can call the studio to reserve a spot in any class in advance!
Drop in visitors can join classes with open spaces on the day of their visit.
What makes Art Beast different from other studios?
- Our classes are designed specifically for kids under 7
- Our classes emphasize process over product
- You can take a class AND play for hours afterward in our play spaces
- Parents can join many of the classes or easily watch from the comfortable, roomy seating area
- While one child takes a class, you have a building of play spaces to explore with your other children
- Classes beat other studios prices AND include far more than a 45 minute session
- Your child does not need to commit to an 8 week session. They can dabble and try out various classes to find a good fit.
- Every penny earned by Art Beast supports Tubman House, a transitional community for young homeless parents and their children.
What You’ll Find in Art Beast’s Teachers and Art Coaches
- Experience working alongside children 0 to 7
- A patient, joyful spirit
- Ability to respond to each child’s needs in creating a welcoming space
- A warm, friendly hello
- Love for building an inclusive community of families
- Crazy for the arts
- Dazzled by the possibilities present in each child
- Values all individuals and all types of family structures, and shares stories and songs that reflect families and children of many cultures and family types.
- Promotes gender equity by ensuring stories, songs, and other artistic expressions portray both girls and boys equally as protagonists, and by portraying both girls and boys as brave, adventurous, heroic, gentle, loving, mischievous, and spirited.